Sunday, July 29, 2012

i hate buses



I watched Suburbia for the first time. And then I promptly watched it a second time with commentary. And then a third time with alternate commentary. To say I enjoyed it would be a bit of an understatement. I'm in a weird phase of completely idolizing the "punk" idea and trying desperately to not fall into the Taylor Momsen "THIS IS NOT A PHASE THIS IS WHO I REALLY AM" raccoon punk attempt. I'm kind of smitten for mohawks (when pulled off well. there are some bad mohawks out there) and I'm on an endless quest to find the perfect jacket to stud and patch and pin the crap out of. I really love the bright hair and black clothing and studs and spikes but there's the terrible fact that it's essentially been ruined by Hot Topic (burnin burn down burn down hot topic come on sing it with me.) I played the "Punk" genre of SongPop (my newest addiction because Matching With Friends is QUITE THE DISAPPOINTMENT) and there was Ramones and Minor Threat and legitimate actual punk and then there was Yellowcard and Good Charlotte and just Mall Punk.
As much as I love the idea and the look and feel of the Suburbia punk, it's an idea. I'm never going to get TR branded on my arm, chop all my hair off, dye it black and live in a shithole and fight cops and tame wild mutts. I love my reality television and art and technology and consumer goods and the "conformist" lifestyle. I'm a walking contradiction according to some friends, as I adore this punk thing but yet I'll stand in line at the supermarket actively pouring over the bachelorette article in a tabloid while waiting to buy chips.
I'm never going to be a part of "The Rejected". It's never going to happen. But I can try to do whatever I can while staying myself. Dying the ends of my hair, finding a jacket, boots, jeans, black t shirts, you get the deal. It may not be "authentic Suburbia punk" but it's a far bit more authentic than Taylor Momsen or the middle schoolers shopping at Hot Topic. Now I'm going to go listen to some more Fugazi.

No comments:

Post a Comment